2016年4月27日水曜日

Open Air Museum @Kawasaki, near Tokyo

Nihon Minkaen is an open air folk museum in Kawasaki,
30 minutes train ride from Tokyo.
They have a few dozens traditional houses in the park.
Most of them with thatched roof.


I love folk museums because they are always unique.
Where ever I go, I try to visit the local museum
In my country, it's no exception.
I have visited Minkaen a few times.
There is a volunteer association for folk art working with this museum.

They demonstrate basket making on some weekend,
and hold a craft market in May and October.
(Visite website for details)
In the front yard of a farm house
many baskets were displayed.
"But you know the good ones have already gone on the first day,
as if they had wings..." a lady said modestly.
No wonder.
They were solid and authentic, and modestly priced.

Besides the craft market,
my favorite is this mobile ferryman station.
Ferrymen escaped from river floods,
carrying the hut on their shoulders.
The photograph showing the hut on the river side.
I'm amazed by how much our life has been changed in Japan.

It's just several decades ago.

Good to know
Tour is provided in English for a group of five or more people. Two weeks advance reservation required.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿